Reach Out is a weekly social support group for men who identify as gay, bisexual or questioning. The group meets every Thursday between 7.30 and 9.30 pm at the Derbyshire LGBT+ premises. The group is set up to give guys the chance to meet up with other guys in a friendly, safe environment.
The group is facilitated by paid workers and trained volunteers but is run by the members. As such, the group decides its own activities such as trips, talks, games nights and workshops.
If you feel confident, all you have to do is turn up on the night. We do however recommend that first timers arrive between 7 and 7.30 pm which will give you the opportunity to meet with the worker(s), find out a bit more about the group, and get settled in before people arrive.
If you would like to know more about the group, would like to come to a meeting, or want to know the programme details for the next few meetings, please get in touch with Derbyshire LGBT+.
Reach Out Guidelines
Our guidelines for members and visitors, to make you feel comfortable and welcome.
- Always make people feel welcome.
- This is a no-pressure space, and we are here to make and be friends in a relaxed, safe and friendly environment.
- Have the freedom to be yourself and be respected.
- Refrain from using excessive bad language or engaging in any inappropriate behaviour.
- Everything that is said in the group stays within the group, and remains confidential.
- Everyone in the group, including visitors, should be treated fairly and equally, irrespective of race, ethnicity, faith, disability, gender identity, age, HIV status, economic status, marital status and sexual orientation.
- Talk to individuals about their culture and respect it, as we are all different.
- Any disagreements need to be talked about, supportively challenged and resolved by the end of the evening, so that nobody feels unable to attend the group again.
- Remember your privacy is important, and will be respected. Remember to give your personal details, email and phone numbers to others ONLY when you are ready.
- If the group needs to make a decision, a majority of two-thirds of the group is required.
- Smoking is not permitted on Derbyshire LGBT+ premises, other than in the garden/patio area.