Here are our social support groups:
Youth Services – LGBT+ Youth Services For People 13 – 19
Outrageous – online LGBT women’s 18+ group
Reach Out – GBT men’s 18+ group
Bidentity – online group for bisexual people 18+
Golden Rainbows Derby– LGBT+ 50+ group
Golden Rainbows Chesterfield – LGBT+ 50+ in Chesterfield
Golden Rainbows Belper LGBT+ 50+ in Belper
Munch and Mingle – LGBT+ 50+ lunch club
Stand Out – LGBT+ group for people 19-30
Transcend/SOFFA – 18+ Trans* group and support for Significant Others, Friends, Family and Allies of Trans* people
All the group leads are very welcoming and understand very well what it feels like to come to a new group and meet people for the first time. It can feel especially difficult if you have just come out and are exploring your own feelings. Coming to one group doesn’t mean that you are unable to come to any of the others, so if you are a Trans* woman over 18, you would be welcome to join both Transcend and Outrageous. You don’t have to let us know that you’re planning on attending for the first time, but it does mean that the group leads can look out for you, show you round and introduce you to some of the regular members.
If you are feeling really nervous, there are some things you can try:
- You are welcome to talk to us on the phone first, and have a chat.
- Come to drop in, and have a look around the centre before you come to the group, so that the building is a little more familiar to you.
- You can arrange to meet with one of the group leads at the centre before your first meeting.
- If you are exploring or questioning your gender or sexual orientation, you are welcome to have one or two sessions with our supportive listening team to talk things through before you come to a group. if you would like to book an appointment with the team, just let us know by e-mail or phone.
- You are welcome to send us an e-mail beforehand, and arrange to meet the group leads early before the group starts.
- A trial run might ease your anxiety, so plan your journey with plenty of time and do a trial run to come and find us before you plan to attend.
- If you are coming for the first time, give yourself plenty of time to get here. If you do have an unexpected delay, you can still arrive on time for the group.
However you travel to us, plan your journey home, so that you are safe. If you are travelling by public transport, check the bus times for the last services to your area. If you are travelling by car, we have access to a secure car park opposite the building that you are welcome to use. if you are planning to use a taxi, research a company that you are happy to use before you arrive, and keep the number with you.
As with going to any new place, let someone you trust know where you are going and what time you are expected back. If you’d prefer to leave the group early, make sure that your safe person knows!
We look forward to seeing you soon.